Tuesday, May 6, 2008

It's okay to be cheesy

I remember my first attempt at making pizza dough ended as a complete disaster because I thought I could get away with "adjusting" my ingredients and measurements. Big mistake. My pizzas came out worse than chewed up cardboard (that pretty much summarizes what they tasted like too).
This time I was determined to make a damn good pizza so my brother would shut up once and for all about my horrible pizza making. And I'm pleased to say that he has been thinking of something else to make fun of now since he took his first bite of my improved pizza... 20 bites ago.

Pizza








for the dough (two 12-inch crusts):
1 1/3 cups warm water
1 package active dry yeast
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tbs. olive oil
1 tbs. salt
1 tbs. sugar
1 tbs. honey

Combine water, yeast, and sugar in a large bowl. Let the yeast dissolve for 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and mix by hand or on low speed for about 1 minute, Knead for 10 minutes. Transfer the dough to a bowl lightly coated with olive oil. Cover with plastic and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size (1 hour to 1 hour and 30 minutes).
Punch down the dough and divide in half. Roll each piece into a ball and let rise another10 to 15 minutes, loosely wrapped in plastic.
Flatten each ball of dough on a lightly floured surface into a 12-inch round. Place each dough circle on a prepared baking sheet dusted with cornmeal. Lift the edges and pinch to form a lip. To prevent the filling from making the crust soggy, brush the top with olive oil. The pizza is now ready to be topped and baked.

The beauty about pizzas is the infinite number of combinations of toppings that can complement each other. Of course, you can make it really sophisticated and add anchovies and roasted asparagus and what not, but for the sake of my simplistic brother I made a classic cheese pizza (with extra extra cheese) and pepperoni.

For each 12-inch round, you will need:
1/2 cup pizza sauce or marinara
1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella or 6 oz. sliced mozzarella (I cut my own)
feta cheese
parmesan cheese
seasonings (salt, pepper, italian seasoning, coarsely chopped basil)

Once you have prepared your dough, preheat the oven to 475 degrees [F].
Before I spread on the marinara, I like to gently rub some garlic over the surface of my dough so that it adheres to the olive oil and flavors the crust a little more. Put an even coating of sauce and seasonings. Layer cheeses and pepperoni (or whatever your heart desires) over that and pop one pizza at a time into the oven. Bake for approximately 12 minutes.

I finally feel content. =)

2 comments:

Thistlemoon said...

Nothing beats home made pizza! You can always make it the way you like it!

Welcome to The Foodie Blogroll!

Anonymous said...

this blog is sort of amazing